The Ensoniq Mirage is an 8-bit sampler with true Voltage Controlled Analog Filters, (VCF’s), giving the Mirage that warm sweeping sound only found in today’s, and yesterdays analog synthesizers. Because of its 8-bit graininess and VCF capabilities, like sign wave modulation, the Mirage has become a legend amongst most keyboard musicians. The Mirage Metasounds Sample Library brings the power of the Mirage’s VCF’s out with many analog simulations including Oberhiem, Moog, TR-909, and, Serge Synthesizers. But there is much more to this library than analog emulation including Natural Sounds, Dance Beats, Sound Effects, and Powerful Leads.
Ensoniq Mirage Package Contents
- Mirage 10 Disk Sample Library in Mirage Disk Format:
- MELPRO1: Oberhiem Ob-1, Minimoog pulse, Serge sine, Moog Resonant Bass, TR-909 Kick Drum.
- MELPRO2: Techno loop, Stratos FX, Arp Hit, Robot band, Harpvoice, Industrial loop.
- MELPRO3: Voice Pad, K1 fantasy, Minimoog lead, K1 strings, K1 brass.
- MELPRO4: Pan Pipe Movement, Pan Flute, Synth Reed, Tribal Beat Loop.
- MELPRO5: Analog Pitch Shift, Analog FX, Arp string synth, Alien Beat, Effects Loop.
- MELPRO6: Lowpass Bass, CT fantasy, Astral voice, CZ acoustic echo, Sample & Hold, Synth intro.
- MELPRO7: Broken Glass FX, Drum machine, Tribal drum, Techno Hit, Breathy voice, Space lead.
- MELPRO8: Morpheus beat loop, Digitalsweep, Roland Juno Synth, Cello section, CZ brass.
- MELPRO9: Fairy tale, Ambient snare, Fretless bass guitar, Oriental Dew, FM sweep pad, Strings
- MELPRO10: Stream, Wetland, Cricket, Song Bird, Loon Lake.
- Mirage Tools Version 1.0 Disk Writing Utility, (PC Only).
- Sound documentation (this document)
- The Ensoniq Mirage DSK-1 Musicians Manual
- The Ensoniq Mirage DSK-1 Parameter Reference Cards
- The Ensoniq Mirage Advanced Samplers Guide
- The Ensoniq Mirage DSK Service Manual
- Transoniq Hacker #039 (Sound Process OS Edition)
- Mirage Links.txt (Tools & Resources for your Mirage)
Metasounds Ensoniq Mirage Disk Writing instructions
Before using this sound library, you must have an Ensoniq Mirage, and at least one Mirage Formatted Diskette, as this library is not System Exclusive transferable. All disks MUST be double sided, double density 3 1/2″ diskettes, as the original Mirage disk drive cannot write to, or read from high density diskettes unless you have converted your Mirage disk drive to read high density disks. It is also a plus to own the MASOS Mirage Operating System, but not necessary for this procedure to work correctly.
- Insert the Mirage Formatted Diskette into your PC’s 3 ½ inch floppy drive
- Locate mwrite.exe within this package, (in the 0 – Mirage Disk Writing Utility folder). Remember the location of this disk writing utility on your PC, as you will need to know this.
- In the Windows Start Menu, click Run, and type “command”. Then Windows DOS will start.
- In the DOS prompt start the mwrite Mirage disk utility by typing its location; for example if mwrite is in a folder called Mirage on Drive C then type: C:/Mirage/mwrite.exe (You will notice the mwrite program will give a usage list).
- For ease of use, it is advisable to also put the Sample Library files within the same folder as mwrite before continuing with the next step.
- After making sure that the Sample Library files and mwrite are in the same folder, and a Mirage Formatted Diskette is in your PC’s disk drive, go back to the DOS prompt, and after choosing which Library Disk file you wish to load onto the disk, (for this example I will use Disk 1, and step 4’s location example), Type the following command within the DOS prompt:
C: /Mirage/MWRITE MELPRO1
- In the DOS Prompt you should now see:
- If all went well, the DOS prompt should read: “Write complete”
- You may now eject the written 3 ½ disk from your PC and load it in your Mirage.
- If for some reason you got errors at the DOS Prompt, it’s more than likely your not using a double sided, double density disk, and/or, it hasn’t been formatted with the Mirage beforehand. This procedure has been thoroughly tested, and the results were always positive. Below is an Illustration of the procedure in progress for your convenience (click for a larger view):
Sound File Summary of Terms
The files below are provided free and as is, (previously offered by me through Metascape Media for $5.00), no warranty or support implied or otherwise. You must agree to the END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT before downloading the provided .zip archive. The archive is also password protected. To gain the password, please leave a personal “thank you” message within the “comments” section below with a valid email address so that I may provide the archives password for you.
This ensures a proper count of the users who download, and use these sounds. Your email address will NOT be used for any other purpose than to gain the archived password. Thank you for understanding, and I sincerely hope you enjoy making music with my sounds, and the various included sounds within the package. I would also love to hear your work using these sounds, but that’s completely up to you. You’ll have my email address, link me to your creative genius anytime
Sound File Download
Ensoniq Mirage Video Demo
The Mirage Tools Version 1.0 Disk Writing Utility is Copyright 1999 Richard Wifall
The Ensoniq Mirage DSK-1 Musicians Manual, and Parameter Reference Cards are Copyright 1984 Ensoniq, which is now owned by E-MU Systems Corporation
The Mirage 10 Disk MELPRO Sample Library Copyright 2014 Michael Lyon