The first set of Patches I have been working on using ANA 2 consist of trance like Drones. So I decided to try an experiment today using a particular Drone Sound I created, along with Meditative Binaural Beats to compliment the Drone itself. The Binaural Beat technique I used was invented by Robert Monroe, founder of the Monroe Institute. I have used Hemi-Sync® technology for many years now, with great success. Here’s a quick explanation of Hemi-Sync®:
“Hemi-Sync is short for Hemispheric Synchronization, also known as brainwave synchronization. The technique synchronizes both hemispheres of one’s brain, thereby creating a ‘frequency-following response’ designed to evoke certain effects. Hemi-Sync has been used for many purposes, including relaxation and sleep induction, learning and memory aids, helping those with physical and mental difficulties, and reaching altered states of consciousness through the use of sound.”
Hemi-Sync® is used through the combination of Binaural Beats. A binaural beat is an auditory illusion perceived when two different pure-tone sine waves, both with frequencies lower than 1500 Hz, with less than a 40 Hz difference between them, are presented to a listener dichotically (one through each ear). For example, if a 530 Hz pure tone is presented to a subject’s right ear, while a 520 Hz pure tone is presented to the subject’s left ear, the listener will perceive the auditory illusion of a third tone, in addition to the two pure-tones presented to each ear.
The third sound is called a binaural beat, and in the above example a perceived pitch correlating to a frequency of 10 Hz, that being the difference between the 530 Hz and 520 Hz pure tones presented to each ear. Binaural beat perception originates in the inferior colliculus of the midbrain and the superior olivary complex of the brainstem, where auditory signals from each ear are integrated and precipitate electrical impulses along neural pathways through the reticular formation up the midbrain to the thalamus, auditory cortex, and other cortical regions.
I have created a few Drones using ANA 2, but one in particular stood out to use with this experiment …Ethereal Chimes. This sound uses 6 Oscillators as follows:
- OSC 1: Sawsine (3D Wavetable – AmbieticA)
- OSC 2: Vocoder 1 (3D Wavetable – AmbieticA)
- OSC 3: Sine 1 Peak (Single Cycle Wave – AmbieticA)
- OSC 4: Ping Pong Toy (Wavesample – Luftrum)
- OSC 5: Music Box (Wavesample – Luftrum)
- OSC 6: Hyped Choir C3 (Wavesample – Sonic Academy)
All Oscillators combined and modulated optimally to create a meditative drone-like effect. Behind this sound track are the embedded binaural beats. It’s the “wavering” sound you hear within the track itself. Here are some tips for optimal listening results:
- Use Headphones (good quality), or at the minimum, stereo speakers positioned as a perfect left and right pair, separated but in front of you. Any studio musicians reading this understand that completely. (Tweet, Mid and Woof cabinets recommended).
- Sit or lie comfortably and close your eyes with no distractions, and have your volume adjusted at a comfortable level.
- Make no effort to control breathing; simply breathe naturally.
- Let go, and try not to concentrate on any one particular sound within the track. Let it take you on a journey within.
- WARNING: Do NOT listen to brainwave synchronization audio tracks while driving or operating machinery.
- This is a Theta–Alpha Track. “Mind awake, body asleep”
Track time roughly 10 minutes. ANA 2 Ethereal Chimes Meditation